Post Operative Instructions for Rhinoplasty Surgery
The following instructions apply to patients who have undergone rhinoplasty/nasal surgery. Since no two patients are ever exactly alike in their surgical needs or rates of healing, we may elect to individualize the following guidelines for each patient. In such instances, we will instruct you as to the changes we make. Otherwise, we urge you to follow the provided postoperative advice very carefully in order to accelerate your healing time and maximize your surgical outcome.
- You should use ice packs on your nose for the first 12 hours following your surgery. They should be used 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. We will provide you with the ice packs and show you how to use them.
- Sleep with your head elevated on at least two pillows for one week following your surgery.
- The nasal packs will be removed by the doctor as early as the following day, but sometimes they are left in as long as three days. The removal of the packs depends on the amount of intranasal surgery.
- Slight bloody mucous drainage up to a week after surgery is normal. It is okay to change the gauze mustache dressing as needed.
- If the nose is stuffy or crusting, you may use Neosenephrine spray three times per day after your packing is removed. Once the packing is removed, you may gently blow your nose as needed.
- You must avoid bending, lifting, and strenuous activities for the first 48 hours. It is acceptable to do some light walking 72 hours after your surgery. Jogging and light non-contact exercise should not be resumed until at least three (3) weeks after surgery. Strenuous sports will require at least six (6) weeks of recovery time before they can be safely resumed.
- Clean your incision lines three times per day with 3% hydrogen peroxide and apply an antibiotic ointment to the suture lines.
- No Smoking for four (4) weeks following your rhinoplasty surgery.
- Your sutures and nasal splint will be removed by Dr. Kim on the seventh day after you surgery.
- Eye glasses are not to be worn until the removal of the splint.
We greatly appreciate the confidence you have shown by allowing our staff to assist you in improving your appearance and health. Our very best efforts will be given to achieve the most satisfactory surgical results possible for your individual anatomy and needs.