Pre Operative Instructions for Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- No Smoking for four (4) weeks prior to and four (4) weeks following your facial cosmetic surgery. Facial Cosmetic surgery includes facelift, necklift, browlift, blepharoplasty (eyelid), rhinoplasty and otoplasty .
- Be sure to eat a balanced diet in the weeks before your surgery. Do not attempt to lose weight in the two (2) weeks prior to your surgery. Proper nutrition is essential for correct healing.
- No alcohol intake for one (1) week prior to and for one (1) week following your surgery
- For ten (10) days prior, no aspirin (or any drugs containing aspirin), no arthritis or pain medications, and no additional vitamin E (other than what is contained in your multi-vitamin supplement). Please avoid the following supplements: Vitamin A or Beta-carotene (a collagen support vitamin – pre/post ingestion may enhance scar formation and delay results due to prolonged presence of “spongy” and “firm” scars) Feverfew, Ginkgo biloba, grape seed extract, green tea and St John’s Wart for ten (10) days prior to your surgery. These medications may cause slightly increased bruising and bleeding at the time of surgery due to their blood clot reducing effects. Use acetaminophen products for pain relief.
- If you have elected to have IV sedation, no food or liquids after midnight the evening before or the morning of your surgery. Chewing gum is also prohibited.
- Wash your face and hair the night before your surgery and the morning of your surgery with the anti-bacterial soap hibiclens that you were given at your pre-surgery appointment. Reduction of skin bacteria will reduce the risk of infection.
- Prior to arriving at the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Center (7155 Turner Rd) for your surgery, remove all makeup and nail polish.
- On the morning of your surgery please wear a button down loose fitting shirt.
- You or your escort will receive prescriptions for antibiotics, pain medication, and any other necessary medications upon leaving the surgical center after your surgery. You may have already received your prescriptions at your initial exam. If that is the case, be sure to have them filled according to the directions received at your initial exam.
- Additional supplements recommended for two(2) weeks prior, but not required are as follows:
- Vitamin C combined with glutathione and L-Cysteine: 500 mg 2 X daily – L-Cysteine is an antioxidant which stimulates healing at the cellular level. It aids in the production of collagen and strengthens the blood vessels. This vitamin should be taken both pre and post operatively. Glutathione is a strong immune system booster. It also promotes a healthy, detoxified liver. It is know to aid in the breakdown of carbohydrates.
- Multi Vitamin containing Iron and Zinc: One a day – Iron and Zinc help maintain a healthy immune system; they are needed for wound healing and normal growth.
- Free-form Amino Acids (powder or liquid form): 1/4 teaspoon mixed in water – Amino Acids stimulate the immune system. This helps protect against bacterial infections. They are also essential to carry out all regulatory process of the body. Amino acids help promote and maximize normal cellular processes.
- Complete B Complex: Three (3) 50 mg capsules before noon – Comprehensive B vitamin support with energizing foods and herbs, including extra support for the nervous system with a broad spectrum of minerals, amino acids, and essential fatty acids, plus amino acids and absorption enhancing co-nutrients such as zinc, manganese and vitamin C.
- A list of local providers of these supplements can be provided to you at your request
Please follow these preoperative instructions carefully. They were developed to give you the best chance for the best possible results from your surgery. Should you have any questions about these instructions, please contact the New Image Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Center at Melbourne Office Phone Number (321) 725-5377 and one of our highly trained staff will be happy to assist you.